Hamilton Docks open on Saturdays
Importers will now have the opportunity to pick up their containers at Hamilton Docks on Saturdays following a two-week trial period.
Warren Jones, CEO of Polaris Holding Company, said today that Stevedoring Services would continue to provide access for container only collection service on Saturday mornings between the hours of 8.00am and 1.00pm up until the start of the Americas Cup.
“This extended service has been initiated because of the major uptick in container and break-bulk imports generated as a result of Americas Cup activities,” said a press release.
“Requests for delivery of any other type of cargo on a Saturday will only be facilitated if booked and paid for in advance. This will allow us to guarantee appropriate labour and ensure a smooth delivery service to truckers.
“We believe this, along with other measures indicated below, will alleviate congestion on the dock.”
The following tips for collection and other advice has been provided by Stevedoring Services:
• Ensure that Customs paperwork is correctly completed and submitted in advance;
• Collect goods as soon as possible following arrival;
• The Hamilton Docks cannot be used for storage as the excess cargo creates a safety risk to staff;
• SSL will provide late and weekend gate entry, as necessary, for access to cleared goods;
• SSL is unable to launch boats on days upon which cargo vessels are being worked, therefore please make early arrangements for the launching of boats on non-ship days. The Bermuda Marine and Ports' weekly shipping schedules can be viewed on our Polaris Holding Company Facebook page.
• Please be patient when visiting the dock, understanding that we are attempting to work safely in extremely congested conditions.