Extinguisher sparks fire alarm at Belco
Firefighters today responded to an alarm at the Belco power plant.
Fire crews reported finding smoke in a switching room at the plant on Pembroke's Serpentine Road, but no fire.
It was discovered that a faulty pull station had activated and extinguisher was released into the room, which activated an alarm.
The incident happened about 10.20am.
A spokesman for the fire service said that power had been restored to the area.
A Belco spokesman added: “There was no smoke or fire present at any time.
“As a precaution, the power to the switch board was immediately transferred to an alternative switch board.
“As a fire alarm had been triggered, the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service were automatically notified and attended the site of the alarm.”
He said: “There was never any threat to personnel or to power supply.
“The incident remains under investigation and operations continue as normal.”