Hazardous material spill at hospital – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Firefighters praised after KEMH chemical spill

First Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next Last

Firefighters kitted out in protective suits dealt with a hazardous materials spill at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital yesterday.

Acting Sergeant Ivan Dyer said that crews responded to a call about a spillage of formalin, a toxic water solution of formaldehyde.

He added that a member of hospital staff was able to provide information on the risks from the chemical.

Mr Dyer said: “It's very important that we know that stuff so that we can dress accordingly and so that we have the right personal protective equipment.

“The fumes are very toxic and also if it gets on your skin it could cause damage to your skin; it's corrosive.”

The incident happened in a utility room in a surgical unit just after 7.30am.

Firefighters Jordan Lamb and Trevor Smith dressed in hazardous materials suits and used breathing equipment to carry out the clean-up operation.

Mr Lamb explained: “It's very difficult to put on these suits.

“You're trying to isolate yourself from any sort of hazardous material or chemicals so we had three layers of gloves, the actual hazmat suit with bootees that go over your feet, followed by boots.

“We're also wearing the breathing apparatus underneath the suits. It took us about 15 minutes to get it all on.”

He added: “Normally in a fire call we will use half-hour breathing apparatus sets, for hazmat calls we use an hour set, so it's a little bit heavier, so with everything on it's close to about 50 to 60lbs.”

Mr Lamb said: “We've done training for it before, but never in my career have I done anything like that.

“We were confident going in because we had the equipment and the hazmat suits. We were just hoping that we could get it done quickly and efficiently.”

The firefighter of almost three years added: “It was mostly isolated, but I guess the clean-up crew couldn't go in there because of the fumes, so that's when they called us.”

Mr Lamb said: “The hardest part was trying to manoeuvre in those suits, it's hard with all the gloves on and everything.

“It's actually basic clean-up — it's just you're in the suit, and that's the hardest part, with sweat ... you can't see, really; you're looking through two masks.”

Mr Dyer said that the crew used a dry absorbent agent called Sphag Sorb, which was spread over the spillage so the firefighters were able to sweep up the hazard and stow it safely in a container.

He added: “Everything we do is high-risk, but it's just that we have to take the proper precautions, so even though it might seem like a small thing we have to go over and beyond for our safety as well.”

Mr Dyer guessed that the job took about 90 minutes and no one was injured.

The Hamilton Fire Station acting sergeant said he was very proud of the team and added: “They did an excellent job.”

A Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said that the chemical was removed from the site by the hospital's special waste section.

He said four appliances from Hamilton Fire Station and one from Port Royal attended the scene. A total of 12 firefighters were involved.

A Bermuda Hospitals Board spokeswoman added: “Early this morning, there was a spill of formalin in a utility room in the surgical area. Formalin is used to preserve specimens.

“Wearing appropriate protective equipment, BHB staff neutralised the spillage with a powdered agent and, as is appropriate for this type of toxic chemical, the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service were called to assist with decontamination of the area.

“No one was injured or harmed by the spill, although there was a delay in opening one of the operating rooms which resulted in seven outpatient surgeries being cancelled.

“We apologise to the patients who were impacted and thank staff and the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service for ensuring a safe response and clean-up.”

This is not a drill: two firefighters wearing hazmat suits receive instructions from King Edward VII Memorial Hospital staff members as they prepare to enter the building to contain and remove a chemical spill in an operating theatre, shortly before 8am, yesterday. Twelve firefighters attended. The hazardous material is being removed by the Special Waste Section of KEMH (Photograph supplied by the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service)
Photograph supplied by the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service
Photograph supplied by the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service
Photograph supplied by the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service
Photograph supplied by the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published August 14, 2020 at 9:00 am (Updated August 14, 2020 at 9:01 am)

Firefighters praised after KEMH chemical spill

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon