Faulty smoke indicator blamed for air emergency
Firefighters rushed to the airport yesterday after a report of smoke in a private jet in the skies off the island.
A spokesman for the fire service said they received a call just after 1.30pm about smoke in the cabin of an aircraft ten miles out from the airport.
He added: “On arrival, fire crews saw a Lear Jet with three persons on board.
“Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus inspected the inside and the outside of the Lear Jet. After investigation it was determined that the smoke indicator in the cockpit was faulty.”
A total of ten fire service vehicles from Clearwater station and Hamilton station, crewed by 17 firefighters responded to the incident.