Hogges to name Ming, Astwood as team pros
Bermuda Hogges’ team management are expected to announce Stephen Astwood and Damon Ming as their two franchise players in the near future, sources have told The Royal Gazette.
With the local professional outfit’s season-opener against Harrisburg City Islanders now less than two weeks away, team officials confirmed yesterday that a total of 23 players had signed contracts — among them two Bermudian players on a full-time basis.
“There will be two franchise players at the very beginning, and possibly three or four before the season is out. And we hope to announce them later this week,” team co-owner Paul Scope said during a Hogges press conference yesterday.
“The franchise players will give up their day jobs and so this will be a full-time commitment to the Hogges. And as of today we have 23 players who have signed contracts which have been very recently sent off to the league (United Soccer League).”
Scope said the Hogges’ franchise players — who will be committed to two-year deals — would be permitted to seek other employment during the off-season, but made it perfectly clear they will no longer be allowed to participate at the domestic club level.
“The rest of the players will be allowed to go back to play domestic football and will in fact be part-time pros. They will keep their regular day jobs,” he added.
Astwood is coming off a superb season with local club side Somerset Trojans while Ming appears to have quit non-league football in the UK in favour of trying out for a full-time position with the Hogges.
Both players played for the Hogges during last Saturday’s 4-2 win over Trojans at Somerset Cricket Club.
With the bulk of the squad to be comprised of part-time footballers, one of the main challenges facing team management will be trying to have players excused from their full-time jobs to suit up — particularly when the team travels abroad to compete.
“We will work with the employers to keep time off from work to a minimum because we do appreciate that the players’ jobs do take priority. And so far the employers have been very supportive.
“The challenges off the field have been many, but I’m happy to say that we are on track,” Scope said.
Team coach and co-owner Kyle Lightbourne added: “We understand the players do have another job, and it is a big commitment from their point of view. But right now we are happy with the way they have responded.”
All of the squad’s part-time footballers will receive payment for each match they play.
Lightbourne, meanwhile, has set high goals for the Island’s USL Division Two representatives in their debut season.
“We are looking for the players to be a lot fitter, sharper, mentally tuned in and ready to play for 90 minutes. And I’m absolutely delighted to be involved in this,” he said.
“We have worked hard with them over the past three weeks and so we are expecting the players as a team to be more of a unit. And the little things they do as amateurs . . . we are now trying to get that out of their system.
“The players are going to be under heavy discipline because there are so many rules involved in being a professional. And so we will be watching them very carefully because a lot of work has gone into this, and hopefully Bermuda will get behind us.”
Hogges co-owner Shaun Goater, added: “Now that we have players under contract we will be able to fine them for being late or absent.
“But I have to say the numbers have been tremendous, and our aim is to increase the overall level of play in Bermuda and ultimately the level of interest in professional football.”
The 2007 USL campaign features a ten-team format with sides competing in a regional schedule consisting of 20 regular season matches to be played on a home and an away basis.
Tickets for Hogges matches can be purchased online at boxoffice.bm., while local football fans can also purchase season tickets at a cost of $250, team officials said.