Tanner hits Carifta standard
One more Bermuda athlete reached the Carifta qualifying standard, while two others qualified in a second event during a track meet on Saturday at the National Sports Centre.
Chayse Tanner reached the standard in the under-17 boys long jump with a leap of 6.72 metres to get inside the qualifying mark of 6.60 metres.
That brings the number of Carifta qualifiers to 17 for the Games next month in Cayman Islands.
Nirobi Smith-Mills ran the qualifying time one again in the under-17 boys 800 metres, clocking a season-best time of 1 min 58.69 sec which is also a personal best. He then competed in the 1500 metres, and despite being the lone competitor ran a time of 4:21.54 which met the qualifying standard of 4:23.
“Nirobi is setting himself up for a good competition at Carifta this year,” said Donna Raynor, president of the Bermuda National Athletics Association. “Last year he was unable to go because of injury he sustained during interschool sports, just before the team was due to depart.”
Suresh Black, competing in the Royal Invitational in Orlando, Florida on the weekend, had a winning time of 10.72 in the 100 metres which was inside the Carifta qualifying time of 10.75 seconds. Black, who has also qualified for the 200 metres, ran a winning time of 49.43 in the 400 metres.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service