Dark helmet visor ban back on the table
Ministers are considering new legislation to ban full-face black visors for motorcycle helmets. The move comes in the wake of an armed robbery when four men all wearing crash helmets with full-face dark visors robbed the Hitching Post, in Sandys. It also comes after the murder of Stefan Burgess who was gunned down at a home on Glebe Road by men wearing helmets on January 8. Three men have been arrested and released on bail in connection with the murder. Transport Minister Derrick Burgess and the Minister of National Security Wayne Perinchief, have met to discuss the subject. Mr Perinchief told
The Royal Gazette: “Yes I support a ban, it’s ultimately up to Mr Burgess, but yes.” And Mr Burgess said: “I am sure we can meet and see eye to eye.” Mr Burgess added: “I would say a ban could be a possibility but we will have to get approval from caucus and Cabinet first.” Both Ministers agree a ban on crash helmets with full face dark visors could be in the cards. Meanwhile, Mr Perinchief has also backed calls not to identify victims of crime on Facebook, or other social media outlets, before families know. Last year, Assistant Commissioner of Police David Mirfield, who said police are finding it increasingly difficult to compete with the speed of social media often it is taking minutes for the victims of shootings or fatal road crashes to be made known. At the time, Mr Mirfield said: “The power of social media has made the solemn duty of informing next of kin increasingly difficult. We continue to discourage the dissemination of unconfirmed information by the public or the media, as this can cause unnecessary distress.” Mr Perinchief has now echoed Mr Mirfield’s opinion, saying: “I decry the insensitivity of identifying victims of violent crime before an official notice of that information is given to the next of kin. “Another negative aspect of the unverified release and sharing of details about a criminal event is the potential to release elements regarding modus operandi which could interfere with and compromise a proper investigation of that event.” Mr Perinchief went on to say: “The use of social media is a technological development which has enhanced the speed at which information can travel and be shared. The phenomenon is both an advantage and disadvantage to investigators and the Civil Authority. There should be no attempt to suppress freedom of speech but people should show compassion and a responsible attitude to its use.” * What do you think? Will this help or should other measures be taken? E-mail news[AT]royalgazette.bm with your thoughts.