PLP repeats call for police probe
The Progressive Labour Party is again calling for a independent investigation after protest participants were pepper-sprayed and police officers injured outside Parliament in December.
The renewed call today follows the incident outside the House of Assembly on December 2.
Twenty-six complaints were filed against police officers by members of the public, and 14 officers were allegedly assaulted during the altercation as protesters attempted to block MPs from entering the House to take part in debates pertaining to the redevelopment of the airport.
“More than nine weeks have elapsed since these unfortunate events,” Shadow Minister of National Security Walter Roban said in a press release.
“Since then, we have heard the Commissioner publicly declare that his operational plan didn't work and that the proper contingencies were not in place.
“We have heard the Premier condemn the ‘violence used against our citizens' and, just recently, he disclosed that he was, in fact, in extensive contact with the Commissioner, senior police officers and others in the hours before the pepper spraying — something he never disclosed at his December press conference when asked repeatedly.”
In addition to the renewed call for the independent inquiry, Mr Roban and the PLP want the findings publicised — including information pertaining to who outside of the Bermuda Police Service knew in advance of the “deployment and tactical options and the equipment to be carried and available for use”.
“We remain deeply concerned the Governor, the Premier and the Ministry of National Security and the OBA Government have failed the Bermuda public by not committing to an independent investigation,” Mr Roban said.
“They still have a chance to correct this.”