Goverment seeking to work with 50 companies on stimulus plan – Minister – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Goverment seeking to work with at least 50 companies on stimulus plan - Minister

Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the Minister of Public Works (File photograph)

Almost 100 businesses have applied to be part of Government’s $13m economic stimulus programme aimed at small to medium-sized contractors.

The deadline for submissions for the Short Term Stimulus Programme was February 15 and the responses to the Request for Suppliers Qualifications (RFSQ) are currently being evaluated, the Minister of Public Works told the House this morning.

Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch said: “To date 18 companies have been approved and are pre-qualified to work with the Government.

“We are working to have at least 50 companies pre-qualified to work with the Government by Monday, March 8. Once all evaluations have been completed we will notify companies of their pre-qualified status.”

He said there had been 98 responses to the RFSQ since the programme launched on December 17.

The ministry has compiled a list of “shovel ready scheme, predominantly infrastructure projects, that could be executed within a three-month period.

Colonel Burch said that he launched the programme along with Erica Smith, executive director of the Bermuda Economic Development Corporation in response to an “urgent need” to retain and boost employment numbers in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.

He added: “The project’s selection principles are to maximise the employment of the private sector while providing much needed refreshing of neglected infrastructure.

“The prequalification criteria will include a scoring of technical competence, local employment benefit, and a schedule of unit rates. Suitable companies will then be added to an approved contractor list.

“Of note is that the prequalification process takes time but this will enable us to issue RFQs and award contracts to the pre-qualified companies at a much faster rate than having each contract approved individually.”

The plan is to enlist the contractors to carry out work at dock and building refurbishments, new construction, canal clearance, roadside fencing and health and safety improvements.

Colonel Burch added: “Companies will start to receive RFQ’s (Request for Quotes) for various Stimulus Projects next week.

“The Darrell’s Wharf repair project and the Flatts Bridge handrail project have been sent out for RFQs this week with intentions of awarding the contract and commencing on site in the coming weeks.

“Additional RFQs will be sent out next week, the week of March 8.”

You must be registered or signed-in to post comment or to vote.

Published March 05, 2021 at 4:46 pm (Updated March 06, 2021 at 9:33 am)

Goverment seeking to work with at least 50 companies on stimulus plan - Minister

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon