Government contracts linked to placements schemes in back to work drive
Government yesterday launched a fresh drive to help unemployed Bermudians get back to work.
Jason Hayward, the Minister of Labour, said the economic stimulus programme scheme would help Bermudians to undertake short-term job placements and get on-the-job training.
Mr Hayward explained companies awarded Government contracts would hire skilled or semi-skilled unemployed Bermudians for up to six months.
He said: “The Department of Workforce Development will recommend Bermudians with the necessary experience and skill sets required for entry-level and mid-level job opportunities to companies.
“The department will then manage the employer and employee relationship for the duration of the placement.
“The candidate is expected to contribute and further develop their skill set through this on-the-job experience.
“Ultimately, we hope that the employer would offer them full-time employment at the end of each project.”
Mr Hayward added: “This is an excellent opportunity for employers looking to hire and individuals seeking employment.”
He said several companies had expressed an interest in offering apprenticeships through the programme.
Mr Hayward added: “At this time, I want to remind all unemployed Bermudians to register on the Bermuda Job Board and upload their most recent resume to allow the department of workforce development to help connect potential employees with prospective employers.
“Submitted resumes will be cross-referenced against employer work permit renewals and used to determine the composition of closed and restricted job categories beyond July 31, 2021.”
Mr Hayward was joined by Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the minister for public works, who gave an update on Government’s short term stimulus programme.
The Government created a database of small-sized contractors who could carry out work on public construction projects under the scheme, which launched last December,
Colonel Burch said: “The Ministry of Public Works compiled a list of shovel-ready projects that were executable almost immediately.
“These projects are mostly infrastructure improvements and will not add further burden to government operational expenses.
“I can advise that 93 out of the 98 companies that applied have been approved and are pre-qualified to work with the Government.”
He said six projects had started and 11 other contracts had been awarded.
The 17 projects are worth about $1.17 million.
Colonel Burch said a further 43 projects were “out for evaluation and seeking quotes”.
But he was unable to say how many jobs had been created through the scheme.
Colonel Burch added: “We are very pleased with the response to the stimulus programme thus far from both contractors and likely employees – all of whom want to get to work and help the economy improve.
“The aim here is to get as many people working as quickly as possible.”
Colonel Burch highlighted several contractors who had found work through the scheme.
Thomas Harvey, the owner of Strike Force, an excavation and trucking company, said: “We have been awarded the contract at Flatts Bridge and we have additional staff from workforce development.
“I want to thanks both ministers. I am a big fan of programmes like this. I have always been one to give back.
“I think I’m doing my part and I would encourage other contractors to do the same. Give back what you learnt to the community.”
Companies interested in the placement programme or unemployed people who want to join the scheme or other programmes should contact the Department of Workforce Development at 297 7714.