Dennis Lister attends UK Speakers’ conference
Speaker of the House of Assembly Dennis Lister represented Bermuda at the Commons and Overseas Territories Conference in London.
Mr Lister attended the conference, hosted by the UK House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle, from May 4 to 6.
The first ever Speaker-led conference, it included a range of topics including how the British Overseas Territories can strengthen their voices in the UK Parliament.
Mr Lister said: “The history of the British Government and its Overseas Territories is long established with its strengths and weaknesses always evolving. It is in this context that I valued the opportunity to be at the table of discussion for this the first ever Commons and Overseas Territories Speaker's Conference.
“Along with the topics that were discussed, a key objective was the establishment of a forum for the Commons and Overseas Territories Speakers to have a direct line of communication to assist in the strengthening between our Parliaments.
“Let us not forget that outside of Britain, Bermuda is the oldest Parliament of the Commonwealth.”
British Overseas Territories Speakers from Anguilla, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Saint Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands and a representative from Gibraltar attended the conference.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service