Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Best keeps Ironshore under review

Bermuda-based Ironshore insurance and its affiliated companies are to remain under review with negative implications, ratings agency AM Best said yesterday.

The agency said that Ironshore's financial strength rating of A (excellent) and issuer credit ratings of “a” were not immediately affected by news that Guo Guangchang, the chairman of new parent company Chinese-based Fosun, had been assisting Chinese authorities in an investigation.

The news came amid a Chinese crackdown on corruption, although details of the investigation involving Mr Guo have not been revealed.

The trading of Fosun's shares and convertible bonds, as well as shares in companies controlled by Mr Guo, were suspended in Hong Kong and the mainland were temporarily suspended earlier this month.

But a Fosun spokesman said: “The directors of the company are of the view that this investigation has not posed any material adverse impact on the finances or operation of the group.

“The operations of the company remain normal.”

AM Best said: “The existing under review status on Ironshore reflects AM Best's concern over the weak financial profile of Fosun, represented by its high financial leverage and constrained liquidity position.

“These recent events create an additional level of uncertainty as to Fosun's continued ability to improve its financial position within a time frame originally contemplated.

“Best will monitor this situation and conduct further discussions with management to assess Ironshore's governance structures and regulatory oversight, which together could insulate Ironshore's capital from adverse financial conditions at Fosun.”

The ratings agency added: “AM Best will continue to monitor the developments at Fosun and the implications for Ironshore, as well as Fosun's other rated insurance subsidiaries, however the current ratings of Ironshore are unchanged.”

Ironshore has two operations in the US and one each in Ireland and the Cayman Islands.

Fosun bought 20 per cent of Ironshore in February and the remaining 80 per cent last month in a deal worth a total of $1.84 billion.

Ratings under review: AM Best has responded to the Chinese investigation into Guo Guangchang, head of Ironshore's owner Fosun International

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published December 18, 2015 at 8:00 am (Updated December 17, 2015 at 7:00 pm)

Best keeps Ironshore under review

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon