Race Week begins in Great Sound
The 2013 Bacardi Bermuda International Invitational Race Week (BIIRW) officially kicks off today with four fleets set to do battle in the Great Sound.
Today will see the Comet, J105, Optimist and Etchells begin their racing series in their respective classes.
Veteran Stevie Dickinson is the defending BIIRW champion in the 12-boat Comet fleet that also boasts promising skippers Ellie Wollman, Dimitri Stevens and Martin Finegan who has competed with Dickinson in the past. The Comets will complete their two-day racing series on the Bravo Course tomorrow.
The Optimist are making their first BIIRW appearance and will compete in a sister regatta, the AES Ltd Optimist BIIRW. The regatta will serve as an ideal warm up for those set to represent Bermuda at July’s Optimist North American Championships to be held here.
Taking centre stage on the Alpha Course are the J105s and Etchells.
Veteran skipper and multiple BIIRW champion Tim Patton will achieve a milestone when racing in the Etchells gets underway. The occasion will mark Patton’s 40th consecutive appearance in the annual regatta.
William Thompson, Mark Watson III and Patton are among the favourites in this year’s BIIRW Etchells fleet.
Back following a year’s absence is the J105s. Chuck Millican, Trevor Boyce and James Macdonald are among the favourites among this year’s BIIRW J105 fleet.
The Laser and International One Design (IOD) will commence their racing series tomorrow.
Ex-Olympians Jesse Kirkland, Malcolm Smith and Sara-Lane Adderley are among a formidable fleet in the single handed Laser. Local sailor Rockal Evans will be a busy man as he is competing in both the Laser and Comets during this year’s BIIRW.
Patrick Cooper and George Cubban are the only local skippers in this year’s 13-boat IOD fleet. Back to defend their BIIRW title in the IODs are multiple past IOD world champions John Burnham and co-skipper Peter Rugg.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service