Wollmann siblings qualify for world championships
Neil Redburn, vice commodore of the Royal Hamilton Amateur Dinghy Club, has hailed the sterling performances of some of the club's elite junior sailors at this year's Sail Canada Youth National Championships in Kingston, Ontario.
Leading the charge on Portsmouth Olympic Harbour were siblings Cecilia and Mikey Wollmann who qualified for December's ISAF Youth World Championships in Malaysia after placing tenth and eleventh in the single-handed Laser Radial fleet, which was won by Argentina's Francisco Guaragna.
Adam Larson and Tayte Stefanuik also made their mark, placing first and sixth overall in the single-handed Optimist dinghy fleet.
Larson is the second local sailor to claim overall honours in the Optimist at the annual regatta in three years behind Cecilia Wollmann who achieved the feat in 2012.
“Obviously we are very proud at RHADC of the successes of our travelling sailors which is the product of significant commitment by our coaches, parents and of course the sailors themselves,” Redburn said. “Tayte Stefanuik and Adam Larson have had a great summer in the Optimist with Tayte heading to the Opti Worlds in Poland next, while Ceci and Mikey Wollmann have been sailing very well in the Laser.
“The profile of sailing has never been higher in Bermuda as a direct result of the America's Cup, our junior programme is growing and the excitement is contagious. The success of these four youngsters is supported by all of the young sailors in the programme.”
Also representing Bermuda were Peter Dill, Benn Smith, Campbell Patton and Christopher Adderley.
Dill and Smith placed nineteenth and 25th in the Laser Radial fleet, while Patton and Adderley were 28th and 44th in the Optimist fleet.
n Honorary West End Sail Boat Club member Kenneth “Chickdy” Philpott was buried following a funeral service at St James Church yesterday.
Philpott, 92, was a passionate sailor who competed in many Long Distance Comet Races for the Edward Cross Cup with late crew Ernest “Cream Puff” Simons.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service