Russell all-clear to play for Robbins
Antwan Russell today received international clearance to play for Ilkeston FC and the Bermudian striker goes straight into the squad for tomorrow’s home game against Buxton.
But manager Kevin Wilson has warned that he wants to give the 26-year-old striker chance to acclimatise before expecting too much from him.
Wilson told Ilkeston FC’s official website: “Antwan has been with us now for a few days and got a chance to stretch his legs when the Academy lads all played for 30 minutes of a friendly game against Sheffield Hallam University.
“It was immediately obvious that he has good pace and a good leap but it’s going to take time before we see the best of him. You never know what tomorrow might bring but my thinking is that we will introduce him slowly.”
Wilson has confirmed, however, that Russell, who captained Bermuda Hogges last season in the United States League’s Premier Division, will be involved in some capacity against Buxton.
And with top scorer Aaron Hooton highly-doubtful after tweaking a hamstring in the 4-1 success at Worksop and Kieran O’Connell (pictured) working his way back to fitness, the Robins could be short of attacking options.
Midfielder Matt Richards is a certain non-starter against Buxton while Rob Kozluk is still troubled by the thigh strain he suffered during the warm-up on Monday.
Added the manager: “We have a few issues to contend with at the moment but that’s only to be expected when you are faced with a schedule of four games in eight days.
“The good thing is that we have players queuing up, desperate for a chance, and there’s a great spirit in the camp on the back of an excellent Easter period.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service