St George’s defeat Somerset in Veterans match
In similar circumstances to their recent Masters Knockout Cup final victory over Somerset, St George’s scored another 2-1 victory over their west end rivals during the 19th annual Veterans All-Stars match at Wellington Oval on Saturday.
Somerset took the lead through a Duane DeRosa penalty in the first half — their same scorer in the Masters final recently at Bernard Park — only to see the home team come from behind again to secure victory. Delbert Minors equalised for the east enders as the teams remained level at the half, before Del Tyrrell scored the winner for the home team midway through the second half.
The honorees for this year’s match were Peter Williams, Clifton (Bummy) Anderson and Kenneth (Ju Ju) Maybory while the former Somerset players honoured were Roger Hunt, Jerry Lynn Simons, John Scotland, Clarence (Chippa) Symonds and Roger Russell, along with former FIFA referee Philip (Stickman) Galloway.
The match was refereed by former long time sports journalist Joe Brown and Charlie Marshall who each officiated one half.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service