Log In

Reset Password

Double still on for dominant Hornets

Simply unstoppable: Tucker celebrates scoring Dandy Town’s second at St John’s Field(Photograph by Akil Simmons)

Dandy Town Hornets remain firmly on track for the “double” after hammering in-form Boulevard Blazers in the FA Cup quarter-final at St John’s Field yesterday.

Hornets, who lead the Premier Division by nine points with six games remaining, were in unstoppable form and were two up by half-time through an own goal by Aaron Foggo, the Boulevard defender, and a strike from Lynn Tucker.

The goals continued in the second half with Jahtino Richardson-Martin adding a third before the visiting side pulled a goal back when substitute Sergio Robinson scored after a mistake by Ajai Daniels, the Town goalkeeper.

Hornets scored twice in added time through Quadir Maynard and Tomiko Goater to complete the rout and ensure their safe passage into the semi-finals.

“That was a satisfying victory and I was pleased with the outcome of the game,” Jomar Wilkinson, the Town coach, said. “I was delighted with the output of my players and I knew it was going to be a tough battle.

“Our game plan was to take it to them early on. We tried to work them and as the game progressed our extra fitness told and we began to dominate with our passing game.”

Meanwhile, at PHC Field, PHC Zebras came from behind to thrash Southampton Rangers 5-1.

Rangers took the lead in the thirteenth minute through Jahkai Dyer’s wonder strike before PHC hit back through goals from Jaavaid Warren-Smith and Cecoy Robinson, who both scored braces, and Marquel Waldron.

“We started off really, really slow but we slowly grew into the game,” Robinson, the PHC captain, said. “We just kept pushing and working hard and in the end got the victory.

“Now we will see who we get [in the semi-finals], keep our heads down and go from there.”

In the opening match of a quarter-final double-header at PHC Field, Devonshire Cougars thumped Young Men’s Social Club 5-0.

Substitute Lamont Brangman led the charge with a second half hat-trick while Jordan Darrell accounted for Cougars’ other two goals.

“It was a well-deserved hat-trick,” Kwame Steede, the Cougars player-coach, said. “Brangman is an impact player and did what he is supposed to do — come on and impact the game.

“Social Club got tired and he came on fresh and caught them on the back foot.

“First half I thought we played into their hands, kicking the ball long and playing like that. But second half we settled down, showed our quality and dominated the game.”

Quincy Paynter, the Social Club coach, admitted that Clay Darrell’s glaring miss early in the second half came back to haunt them.

“That was definitely a turning point and sometimes you have to play simpler,” he said. “But Clay has been doing the job for us, so we will get back in training and work on some of the things we were poor in today.

“I thought we played well but gave the ball away in critical areas and on the transition of play and it cost us defensively.”

Hamilton Parish and Robin Hood are set for a replay after a 2-2 draw at Wellington Oval.

Hood were two goals up through Nathan Peskett and Tre Dill but were pegged back after Tareek Webb and Chris Caisey pulled Parish level.

Joe Lathan, who took charge of Parish in the absence of Phillip Burgess, was delighted with the way Parish fought back after last weekend’s defeat to Boulevard which left them rooted to the bottom of the Premier Division.

“Chris was the key today, back after four games through suspension,” Lathan said. “He’s been a great asset to us, in fact I give credit to the whole team, everybody worked hard and showed we have resilience, that we’re not going to be walkovers.

“It was definitely a good result after being 2-0 down. In the second half we played a much better game. I’m glad we’ve got this extra game so that we can work on some things.”