Log In

Reset Password

Ruthless Rangers hammer Wolves

Paget Lions, BAA and Southampton Rangers continue to set the pace in the promotion race after comfortable wins in the First Division yesterday.

Leaders Paget beat St George's 3-0 at Wellington Oval to make it ten wins in 12 matches, a result that all but eliminates St George's from the promotion race. Dion Stovell netted in the 23rd minute as Paget held a 1-0 lead at the half.

Two more goals in the 61st and 67th minutes by Travis Wilkinson and David Hunt made certain of the win for Paget. Paget also missed a penalty when the score was 2-0, Zeko Burgess saving Davin Dill's spot kick after David Signor fouled Stovell.

Six players were booked, four from St George's and two from Paget, captain Jensen Rogers and goalkeeper Jason Smith who reacted when Donavan Thompson extended a high boot inside the penalty area in the 89th minute. Thompson was also booked along with team-mates Zeko Burgess and Jarazinho Bassett.

At Goose Gosling Field, Quintonio Lema scored a hat-trick to inspire second-placed BAA to a 5-2 victory over Devonshire Colts. Lema opened the scoring in the 34th minute and grabbed a second right on the stroke of half-time.

Colts made a promising start after the break when Kyle Jones pulled one back. However, it did not take long for BAA to restore their two-goal advantage as Shane Simmons made it 3-1 in the 52nd minute. Mical Hardtman ended the game as a contest when he scored the match's best goal with a fierce shot from outside of the box.

Colts grabbed another through Brendon O'Conner's 72nd minute strike before Lema completed his hat-trick seven minutes from time.

Third-placed Southampton Rangers, the only remaining unbeaten team in the league, produced the biggest win after thrashing Wolves 11-0 at Southampton Oval.

St David's and Somerset Eagles both moved ahead of St George's in fourth place with wins yesterday. St David's edged Ireland Rangers 4-3 at home while Eagles beat Hamilton Parish 3-1 at White Hill Field.

George O'Brien put St David's ahead in the 20th minute before Delun Fishenden doubled the lead in the 26th minute and DeShun Hendrickson made it 3-0 in the 46th minute. Jiriko Powell pulled one back for Rangers before Diego McCallan restored St David's three-goal lead. However, the visiting side made it close with goals by Jonathan Bean and Sekai Proctor in the 71st and 81st minutes.

Dion Stovell: Opened the scoring for league leaders Paget at Wellington Oval (Photograph by Lawrence Trott)

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published February 05, 2018 at 8:00 am (Updated February 04, 2018 at 11:28 pm)

Ruthless Rangers hammer Wolves

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon