Tre Ming staying positive despite prospect of months out of action – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Tre Ming staying positive despite prospect of months out of action

Bermuda midfielder Tre Ming

Tre Ming is optimistic that Bermuda can cope in the absence of key players during their opening 2022 World Cup qualifiers.

The Gombey Warriors’ preparations for their upcoming qualifiers against Canada and Aruba in March have been far from ideal owing to injuries to players such as Ming and fellow midfielder Osagi Bascome, who have been ruled out.

Ming tore his meniscus while Bascome is believed to have torn his anterior cruciate ligament.

Kyle Lightbourne, the Bermuda coach, is also faced with the prospect of having to name an entirely locally based squad for the qualifiers, as Covid-19 restrictions continue to dictate preparations in terms of overseas-based players travelling between nations.

However, Ming believes Bermuda can be equal to the task in spite of these obstacles.

“A good bit of guys may be missing,” he said, “but we have the right amount of quality, so it’s just the effort now.

“If we can assemble the right group and they come out and put the right foot forward I think we will be all right.”

Bermuda, who were meant to begin qualifying in October but had been delayed by the global pandemic, will now open with a match away to group B favourites Canada on March 25. That will be followed five days later by a match against Aruba at the National Sports Centre.

Southampton Rangers player Ming initially injured himself during his team’s 4-0 Charity Cup win over North Village, the Premier Division champions, last September.

“I felt it when I ran into a tackle but just thought it was fatigue, as we hadn’t played in a long time, and kept playing,” the 26-year-old Sandys Secondary Middle School teacher explained.

“Then I started to feel it a lot in training, so I got an MRI and was told I tore my meniscus worse than the first time I tore it, so I was like, ‘that’s it for me’.”

Ming is scheduled to have surgery next week.

“I was scheduled to have surgery in mid-November but it got moved to December 15,” he said.

“That’s the scheduled date right now but the way Covid is impacting I doubt that it goes through, so I’m just patiently waiting to get it done.”

Ming is in no rush to get back on the football pitch – and for good reason.

“Last time I rushed back to be in the Gold Cup but I wasn’t able to give them 100 per cent,” he added.

“It’s outpatient surgery so I know I won’t be out for like seven or eight months.

“It will be like six to eight weeks and then I will be on my feet and can begin rehab, so I’m looking at a two-month process.”

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published December 12, 2020 at 8:00 am (Updated December 11, 2020 at 9:53 pm)

Tre Ming staying positive despite prospect of months out of action

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon