LeiLanni Nesbeth helps Florida State progress to NCAA Championship quarter-finals
LeiLanni Nesbeth and her Florida State University team progressed through to the quarter-finals of the NCAA Championships on Sunday following a 3-1 win over Penn State in Carey, North Carolina yesterday.
Florida State dominated much of the first half, but they found themselves behind for the first time all season when Penn State scored in the 20th minute through Frankie Tagliaferri.
It took Florida State 13 shots, but they finally converted in the 31st minute. Yujie Zhao delivered a perfect corner that found Kristina Lynch to score her fourth goal of the season.
Florida State continued on the front foot in the first 15 minutes of the second half creating a number of opportunities through corners and shots on goal before grabbing the lead for the first time in the 62nd minute courtesy of Clara Robbins, her team-leading sixth of the campaign, after being set up by Gabrielle Carle.
Seven minutes later Florida State put the game out of reach when Carle scored her second goal of the tournament, this one from the penalty spot.
Nesbeth and FSU, ranked No 1, will now face Duke for the third time this season in the quarter-finals.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service