Triathlon superstar guest speaker at awards dinner
Four-time World Triathlon champion Chrissie Wellington will be the guest speaker at the Bermuda Triathlon Association (BTA) awards dinner at Riddell's Bay tomorrow evening.
The English athlete will also share her vast knowledge with some of the Island's junior triathletes at a training camp on Clearwater Beach earlier in the day.
Wellington, who has won every single one of her 13 Ironman competitions, holds the women's world record of eight hours, 18 minutes and 32 seconds. That's 32 minutes faster than the previous record which had stood for 14 years.
After years of trying to bring 35-year-old Wellington to Bermuda, BTA executive Neil de ste Croix said he was thrilled to finally land someone of her superstar status.
“We've tried for four years to get her but because of her training and everything she's been jacked out. I dealt with her manager each year but got nowhere,” he said.
“But, I just so happened to be speaking to Steve and Belinda Castree, two people who do a lot in local swimming, and they went to university with her and were her friends. That's how it all started really. They got into contact with her and the next thing she's down here for a vacation.”
De ste Croix added that Wellington would be the biggest name to attend the Association's annual dinner.
“She's right up there, I would say she's the biggest (name) we've had,” said de ste Croix, who revealed Wellington would be doing a photo shoot on a Bermuda's beach for the 220 Triathlon magazine.
“We're delighted she's coming down, she's an absolutely huge name in triathlon.
“Chrissie will be doing a junior development camp while she's here, and talk to some of our adults about her experiences.
“I gather she's an inspirational character and it's very exciting for us.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service