Towlson back to his best with title success
Neal Towlson is confident he is on his way back to his best form after winning the Men's Open final of the Coral Beach and Tennis Club CBC Adult Singles Series on Sunday.
Having endured a difficult year following surgery on his right wrist, Towlson has worked his way back slowly, suffering semi-final defeats at recent tournaments, before claiming the honours at the weekend with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Sam Butler.
For Towlson, the title was not only pleasing as the final step in his recovery but also for the fact that it came at his “home” tournament as the club's professional.
“It was obviously great to win the tournament but for me the most pleasing thing was just being out playing tennis again after having surgery on my wrist last year,” said the 25-year-old.
“The surgeons were confident my wrist would heal and would be OK but you never really know.
“Because it was my playing hand, I didn't know how it would be after the surgery.
“Thankfully I've been able to work my way back, but I had to do it slowly to do it right, it's been a long recovery.
“I've lost in two recent tournaments in the semi-finals but to be able to win at my home court is a great feeling.
“There was a great turnout and the atmosphere was brilliant as well, it really helps massively.
“It's really encouraging to see that there seemed more players competing as well, it definitely seemed a bigger turnout than it has been before.”
As well as claiming the title, victory in the Bermuda Lawn Tennis Association sanctioned event will also see Towlson claim valuable ranking points in the national standings, where he will be looking to knock long standing No 1 Gavin Manders off of his perch.
“The title should really help with my overall ranking in the standings,” he added.
“I think it will put me joint with Gavin at the top of the standings or at least very close behind him.
“That gives me a massive incentive to get back to training intensely again and playing in more tournaments.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service