Ben Smith hails Bermuda’s Carifta Swimming Championship medal haul efforts
Ben Smith, the national coach, has hailed the island’s success at the Carifta Swimming Championships in Barbados.
Bermuda’s 12 member team secured 19 medals, including four gold, and placed sixth among the 18 competing nations, much to the delight of Smith.
“Team Bermuda did an amazing job done in Barbados with a lot of young swimmers as part of the team,” he told The Royal Gazette. “It was encouraging to see the way they were able to perform, specifically making it in to finals and swimming faster times when they were in the finals.
“With only 12 swimmers, coming back with the amount of medals that we did and being able to finish in sixth place overall against some of the bigger teams after the two-year layoff from Carifta, was also exciting.”
Sam Williamson led the island’s charge as he earned five individual medals, including two gold, as well as two bronze in the relay events to cap his fifth and final appearance at the regional championships on a high note.
Taylor White also signed off in style having earned silver and bronze medals in her final appearance at the event.
“Having the swims by Sam Williamson in his return to Carifta and in his last Carifta was really good,” Smith added.
“Then on the last day having Taylor White come back and hit her medal performances on her last day and last session of Carifta was also exciting.
“Overall, I think the team was really excited with their performances.”
Smith is looking forward to what promises to be a bright future ahead for the island’s youth swimmers.
“The medals by the 11-12 and 13-14 girls shows a bright future and the standards of the swims for all the swimmers from Bermuda is encouraging,” he said.
“Overall, I think we are encouraged to see what they are going to be able to do over a very busy summer schedule after what they were able to do down in Barbados.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service