College Weeks Reunion cancelled due to lack of interest
A Tourism Ministry event intended to attract former College Weeks visitors back to the Island was quietly cancelled due to a lack of interest.
The 2012 College Weeks Reunion, announced by Tourism Minister Wayne Furbert last year, was hoped to attract baby boomers looking to take a walk down memory lane with dedicated hotel packages and a series of events over a three-day period.
It was scheduled to start last week, with a poolside cocktail party and dinner at Beau Rivage.
The celebrations were to continue at the L’eau Bar at Newstead.
The Royal Gazette arrived to cover the event, we were informed it had been cancelled.
A Department of Tourism spokeswoman confirmed on Friday that the event was cancelled due to low subscriber numbers.
The department would not say how many, if any, visitors bought tickets for the event.
It also refused to explain how any persons who bought tickets would be reimbursed, or how much was spent on advertising the cancelled event.
“The College Weeks Reunion will be a great way for folks who may have visited Bermuda during the heyday of their youth to come back and enjoy the Island as an adult,” Mr Furbert said when he announced the reunion last year.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service