Cal Berkeley takes up Pain into Purpose cause tonight
A one-hour Bermudian road safety tribute will air tonight after it was taken up by the athletics department at the University of California, Berkeley.
Online registration for the “Pain into Purpose” Zoom presentation, showing online from 9.30pm, can be found here.
Pain Into Purpose was created by Bermuda Institute pupils in memory of Kijani Burgess, a 16-year-old 11th grade pupil who lost his life on the roads in 2020.
The university’s athletics department is partnering with the group through Bermudian Ty-Ron Douglas, its associate athletics director of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
Kijani will be acknowledged with Bermudian and international athletes who have recently died in a tribute video, courtesy of Paul DeShield Productions, including a song by gospel artist Duawne Starling.
Jason Verrett of the San Francisco 49ers will also take part as a special guest.
Cal Athletics coaches, staff, athletes and athletic director Jim Knowlton will attend.
A spokesman said: “The Cal Athletics DEIB office plans to use this #PainIntoPurpose movement to support our student-athletes with road safety and overall wellness resources.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service