Spinning our wheels over mould
Margaret Lloyd, in her letter published on April 2, stated that for 225 years mould was not an issue, but rather a lack of fresh air combined with poor maintenance. Are this lady and myself the only persons who can see an easy solution, ie, opening windows and fresh air?
Why is it necessary to bring in “mould experts” to test and remediate, etc, when there is a very simple solution?
On October 21, 2016, I wrote the following letter:
“What is going on with our schools and other government buildings? Have any of the people working in these buildings heard of fresh air?
“We have had reports of mould at CedarBridge, TN Tatem school, the old Hamilton Police Station, the Cabinet building and now the Supreme Court registry building.
“Back in the Sixties, very little was heard of toxic mould, but then again a lot of buildings, and certainly the schools, did not have air conditioning and relied on fans and open windows.
“From personal experience, I have a bedroom, which if the windows are closed and the fan turned off, I can guarantee, one can smell the mould forming within 24 to 36 hours.
“Most of these buildings are being used not more than eight hours in a day, so, in effect, they are closed 16 hours a day. Get some good, old-fashioned, fresh Bermuda air into these buildings and the problem will be solved.
“If there are documents which need to be kept in pristine condition, then the air-conditioning should be kept operating 24/7.
“Surely this is not rocket science!”
How much will this cost the taxpayer and what is the cost to the students who are being disrupted, moving from one school to another?
Yours in total dismay.