Some US tax returns can be filed for free online – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Some US tax returns can be filed for free online

Some US citizens living on the Island will be able to file their taxes online this year for free.

According to the US Consulate, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is offering IRS Free File software on its website, which will allow US citizens and resident aliens living outside the US to file thier federal tax returns automatically.

In order to be eligible, the taxpayers' adjusted gross income in 2010 must be less than $58,000, but some overseas taxpayers are able to exclude $91,500 of their foreign earnings.

Those who are not eligible can still file their taxes online, but must purchase specific software online.

Useful website:

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published March 30, 2011 at 9:31 am (Updated March 30, 2011 at 9:31 am)

Some US tax returns can be filed for free online

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon