Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Pregnant Perozzi pulls out of fight

Teresa Perozzi admits she has mixed feelings over her pregnancy that has forced postponement of her upcoming WBA middleweight title defence on local shores.

On one hand the local southpaw is excited to be bringing a second child into the world while on the other she says the timing of her pregnancy was far from ideal given her upcoming commitment in the ring.

“I'm definitely disappointed, not at being pregnant, but with the timing of it,” Perozzi said. “When I was going to Trinidad (for WBA title fight) I just knew I was going to win, and that's how I feel about this one. I have been so excited for it so selfishly I'm upset that I can't (fight).

“This (pregnancy) definitely caught me by surprise and I thought I had passed those days. My initial reaction I was upset simply because it wasn't a plan going 40 this year. I always knew I was going to do big things going 40 but just didn't realise this was it.

“I feel I've kind of let people down a bit, especially the promoter who has already put in a lot of time and effort and sponsorship.”

Perozzi, whose pro record stands at nine wins, four losses and two draws, was due to rest her WBA middleweight belt on the line against Yaharia Hernandez from Dominican Republic at Fairmont Southampton on November 29.

The 39-year old boxer landed the then vacant WBA middleweight belt via a split decision win against American Lorissa Rivas in Trinidad and Tobago in December, 2011.

Since then she has defended her belt twice on local shores, defeating American April Ward on points and battling to a draw with Ward's compatriot, Tori Nelson, in a WBA and WBC middleweight unification championship bout.

Perozzi is quite aware she now risks being stripped of her WBA title for failure to defend it within the specified time period (six months).

“Most likely I would think I would get stripped of it,” she said. “But I can re-fight for it and hopefully they make it mandatory whoever wins the belt will have to fight me.

“I can always get a belt back, as long as I get the win. My plan is to fight again a year from now. I'm definitely not ready to throw in the gloves just yet.”

In her previous outing in the ring at Berkeley Institute Gym last February, Perozzi, who is coached by Hall of Fame boxer Troy Darrell, fought to a second draw with Nelson in four months in a championship bout for the vacant WBC middleweight belt.

Meanwhile, organisers have confirmed that November's event at Fairmont Southampton will go ahead as originally planned in the absence of Perozzi.

“We still intend to stage the event, which will feature Bermuda's Jermal (Goofy) Woolridge and recently turned pro boxer Nikki Bascome,” an event spokesman said. “We are very happy for Teresa and wish her all the best.”

Teresa Perozzi

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published August 28, 2013 at 2:48 pm (Updated August 28, 2013 at 5:21 pm)

Pregnant Perozzi pulls out of fight

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon