Bascome backed by Martínez’s former foe
Canadian boxer Michael Brandon has backed Nikki Bascome to defeat David Martínez in their vacant IBA international welterweight title and wants to face the Bermudian next.
Brandon is the last man to beat Martínez after claiming a unanimous points victory over the Mexican at the Memorial Centre in Peterborough, Ontario, last year.
The 27-year-old said he would jump at the opportunity to travel to Bermuda and take on Bascome, who meets Martínez at the Fairmont Southampton tomorrow night.
“I’m sure Nikki will beat him,” Brandon told The Royal Gazette. “But he won’t beat him the way I did; I don’t remember being hit for six rounds. It was a total washout.
“I made some of the easiest money fighting him. But if Bascome gets past him and wants to jump in the ring with MB [Michael Brandon], I’d make easy money off him, too.”
Undefeated after seven bouts, Brandon has fought twice since defeating Martínez, with wins over Mexicans Rene Fernández López and Luis Enrique Montelongo. He has, however, never fought outside of Canada.
“I beat this dude easy; broke his nose in the process,” Brandon wrote on Instagram after footage circulated of Martínez performing mitt drills with his coach Ismael Villarruel at Controversy Gym on Wednesday. “When Nikki is done with him, let me come to BDA so I can [get] this done.”
Bascome will return to the ring for the first time since his knockout defeat by Portugal’s Fábio Costa at the Fairmont Southampton a year ago. Shortly after losing his unbeaten record, Bascome teamed up with trainer Jeff Mayweather after splitting with his long-time coach, the late Allan “Forty” Rego.
Mayweather, who will be in Bascome’s corner, arrived in Bermuda yesterday after flight delays in Miami and Philadelphia. Martínez, who has 12 wins from 15 contests, will come face-to-face with Bascome at the weigh-in at the Fairmont Southampton tonight at 6pm.