Lambe tells of tumour scare
Andre Lambe revealed he suffered a health scare in the build-up to his final amateur bout when he received a misdiagnosis of a brain tumour.
The 24-year-old was left stunned when informed on Thursday that an MRI scan had found an abnormality and was initially prevented from fighting against Portuguese Bruno Couto at the Fairmont Southampton on Saturday.
According to Lambe, a further scan later that day showed that there was no tumour, although he was only given the all-clear to box a few hours before his contest at the Return Fight Night.
“I had an MRI on Wednesday and got called into the doctors the next day for an emergency and was told I had a tumour on my brain that they couldn't specify,” said Lambe, who took to the microphone after his split-decision win over Couto to explain his ordeal to the crowd. “The doctor was saying that I wouldn't be able to fight and it was very hurtful. I couldn't even explain the feeling.
“He saw the [emotional] pain I was in and took it into his own hands to speed up the process to get better information.
“The hospital called me immediately and they gave me an MRA scan, which is more detailed, and I had to wait a couple of hours for the results. That was the worst part of it.
“Thankfully, I was told there was no tumour and that I would be able to fight.”
Lambe, who had undergone medical tests to obtain his professional licence, said the scans had discovered some “blood vessel issues”, but is confident of making his pro debut in January.
“There is something off with my blood vessels; however, my doctor called me hours before the [the bout] to say I could still fight and that any punches taken to my head won't affect my condition,” Lambe said.
“There are still things going on with what I have. It has nothing to do with taking punches to the head and is something I've been born with. If I hadn't had the MRI scan, I wouldn't have known about any of this.”
Lambe, who represented Bermuda at the Central American and Caribbean Games in Barranquilla, Colombia, last year, believes the worry and anxiety he experienced before his bout contributed to his below-par display.
“There's been a lot of anxiety running through my head leading up to the fight and during the fight,” said Lambe, who dropped Couto with a right hook in the first round. I didn't feel 100 per cent, but I dug deep and fought it out. I wouldn't say it was my best performance at all.”
Also in action on the amateur undercard of the IBA International Welterweight Championship between David Martínez and Fábio Costa, was Jaylon Roberts, of Forty Rego's Gym, who lost by a unanimous decision to Ricardo Teixeira, of the Don Kinguell Academy in Porto.
Meanwhile, middleweight Lovintz Tota, of Just Box Ltd, was victorious in his home debut, defeating Portuguese Hugo Relvas via a unanimous decision.
Promising teenager Adrian Roach, of Controversy Gym, continued his development against tricky Celesto Lima, a Portuguese national welterweight champion, losing by a unanimous decision.
It was a memorable night for experienced trainer Chucky Renaud, of Controversy Gym, who received a lifetime achievement award for his services to the sport from the Bermuda Boxing Federation.
Renaud was joined in the ring during an intermission by fighters past and present, along with friends and family.