Union reviewing sacked hospital worker situation
Union leaders are deciding whether to take further industrial action over the sacking of a hospital worker accused of attacking his female supervisor.
Unionised staff at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital walked off the job on May 21 after the man was fired, giving Bermuda Hospitals Board one week to reinstate him.
The Royal Gazette understands that another “sit-in” took place at the end of last week after BHB stood by its decision to dismiss the worker. One hospital worker, who asked not to be named, said the sit-in was not supported by everyone at the hospital and many felt it was right that the man lost his job.
Bermuda Industrial Union president Chris Furbert had previously said the worker was “found not guilty” of the attack in Magistrates' Court, so BHB had no grounds for getting rid of him. Asked if the BIU planned to pursue the matter, Mr Furbert said the union's hospitals division was reviewing the situation.
“Until they come back to me, I have no comment on the issue,” he said.
A BHB spokeswoman said: “BHB upheld the decision to dismiss the individual. This has been communicated to the union. The court proceedings were instigated by the individual involved, not BHB, so it would be inappropriate to comment [on them].”
The board claimed last month that the first sit-in broke the hospital and union's collective bargaining agreement, which requires 21 days notice of industrial action. The spokeswoman said yesterday BHB was not pursuing action against the BIU for the alleged breach.