Prosecutors still trying to extradite murder suspect from UK
Prosecutors are still trying to get a murder suspect extradited back to Bermuda to stand trial — despite UK court officials earlier claiming that their efforts had failed.
Patrick Stamp, 28, from St George's, is wanted by police in connection with the shooting of Malcolm Augustus in the early hours of December 25 last year. Mr Augustus, 20, was fatally shot just after midnight on Christmas Day on the border of St George's Golf Course. He was the Island's fifth and final murder victim of 2012.
Mr Stamp was tracked down in the UK earlier this year, arrested by British police, and remanded into custody to await extradition proceedings. In June, officials at a London court confirmed to The Royal Gazette that Mr Stamp had been released in May after those proceedings were dropped.
But in yesterday's arraignments session, prosecutor Cindy Clarke said the Department of Public Prosecutions was still waiting to hear back from officials in London.
Ms Clarke addressed the court during the appearance of co-accused Wolda Gardner. Mr Gardner, 33, of Secretary Lane, St George's, is charged with the premeditated murder of Mr Augustus along with a second count of using a firearm to commit the indictable offence. He denies both charges.
Ms Clarke said that “correspondence has been slow out of the UK”, and asked that the matter be adjourned for two weeks, when a trial date could be set.
Mr Gardner's lawyer, Charles Richardson, protested the delay, saying: “This will be the third time that we have had no information on the extradition proceedings as it relates to Mr Stamp.”
Puisne Judge Charlesetta Simmons adjourned the matter to September 16, by which time, she hoped “we will find out whether or not proceedings relating to the other individual have concluded one way or the other”.
Mr Gardner was remanded back into custody.
Also in yesterday's arraignments session, Vincent Outerbridge denied three charges relating to an incident on June 30 at Clear View guest house in Hamilton Parish.
Mr Outerbridge is charged with wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm, carrying an offensive weapon, namely a baseball bat, and damaging property by smashing a window.
Mr Outerbridge, who was unrepresented in court, was remanded into custody and will stand trial on November 18.
A 25-year-old man pleaded not guilty to breaking into a North Shore Road, Hamilton Parish, home with an imitation firearm.
Jerome Mader, from Warwick, was charged with aggravated burglary, using an imitation firearm to commit an indictable offence and possessing an imitation firearm in flight after an indictable offence.
The charges relate to an incident that allegedly occurred on July 24 last year. Mr Mader was remanded back into custody and will appear in court for mention on September 19.
And teen motorist Jahni Holder denied a slew of charges relating to a November 2012 crash on South Road, Warwick, which left Rashaun Zuill injured.
Mr Holder, 19, of Ridgway Road, pleaded not guilty to causing grievous bodily harm while driving without a valid driver's licence or vehicle insurance.
Mr Holder is further charged with driving without due care and attention, without a valid driver's licence and without vehicle insurance.
The defendant, who is currently on bail, was ordered to attend October's arraignments session when a trial date will be set.