Homeless man sentenced to time served
A homeless man who admitted threatening two women was sentenced to time served when he appeared in Magistrates' Court this morning.
Junior Ming, 51, also known as “Scientist”, pleaded guilty to two counts of using threatening words and one charge of threatening behaviour.
The charges relate to two separate incidents that took place last month.
Prosecutor Maria Sofianos told the court that the first incident on July 22, involved a security guard at Windsor Place, Pembroke.
The woman had told Ming to leave the entrance of Windsor Place on Queen Street.
He told her: “Call the f*****g police. I will knock your block off.”
As the woman retreated to the mall because she feared for her safety, Ming followed her and kicked and banged on the door.
In a separate incident on July 25, Ming threatened another woman by telling her: “When I come to murder you, don't come and ask me any questions.”
In court today, Ming said: “I've been up at Westgate and they've given me medication. I feel a 100 per cent better now.”
Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo remarked that he appeared to be better, but added: “You cannot go around threatening people.”
At a previous court appearance on July 27, Ming had denied the charges and was remanded into custody.
Mr Tokunbo said the “timeout” at Westgate Correctional Facility would be Ming's sentence.
In a separate matter, 24-year-old Gregory Tucker, of Devonshire, was given a two-year conditional discharge.
At a previous court appearance on April 27, Tucker had admitted perverting the course of justice, obstructing a police officer, using threatening words in a public place and violently resisting arrest in Pembroke on February 27.
Court reports were ordered at that time and Tucker was given a two-year conditional discharge on the condition that he adheres to all the recommendations in the reports.
• It is The Royal Gazette's policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service