Log In

Reset Password

Woman pleads guilty to attack

A woman accused of attacking a stranger at the Hamilton Bus Terminal has admitted the offence in Magistrates’ Court.

Sahrika Desilva, 30, pleaded guilty to assaulting a woman sitting at the terminal on November 10 last year, calling her by a derogatory name and shoving her face into the bench.

Police arrived to find DeSilva sitting in a locked, parked bus, and she was later conveyed to the Mid-Atlantic Wellness Institute.

DeSilva subsequently told police that she remembered the assault, but had never met the victim and did not know her.

Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo ordered reports, releasing DeSilva on bail until the next sitting of Mental Health Treatment Court.

Earlier this week, a 22-year-old Pembroke man admitted possessing cannabis and MDMA.

Tyrone Oswald Jr was stopped by police on October 27, 2016 while driving on Frog Lane, Devonshire, and the drugs were found in his wallet during a search.

Mr Tokunbo granted $2,000 bail, ordering pre-sentencing reports ahead of Oswald’s next appearance on May 23.

Meanwhile, Sean Evans, 27, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to burglary as well as resisting arrest on Spice Hill Road, Warwick, on April 3.

Called to the residence at about 2pm, police found Evans leaving through a window. He was tasered after struggling with officers.

Cash totalling $500 had been taken, along with a Michael Kors watch valued at $260, a security camera, and candy bars. Evans was ordered to attend drug treatment court on April 11.

In addition, a Pembroke man who caused a crash at the junction of Cobbs Hill and Middle Road was fined $800 with ten demerit points for driving carelessly on December 5.

The court heard that Noel Bascome, 62, was driving his truck east on Middle Road when he tried to turn onto Cobbs Hill, crossing the middle line and colliding with a motorcyclist.

And 32-year-old Maurico Bradshaw, of Pembroke, pleaded guilty to refusing to give a breath sample at a traffic stop on Harbour Road, Warwick, shortly before 2am on March 12. Police pulled Bradshaw over after noticing an expired sticker on his motorcycle, and noticed that his breath smelt strongly of alcohol. When asked to provide a breath sample for analysis he replied “no thanks”, the court heard. Mr Tokunbo fined him $800 and banned him from driving for one year.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case.