Log In

Reset Password

Prosecutor casts doubt on Alkon collision testimony

First Prev 1 2 Next Last
Craig Attridge (File photograph)

A 74-year-old driver accused of injuring a cycling magistrate maintained his innocence yesterday during his Magistrates’ Court trial.

Brian Alkon, from St George’s, denies causing grievous bodily harm to Craig Attridge by driving a vehicle without due care and attention with an alternative charge of driving without due care and attention.

Mr Alkon told the court that he made a right-hand turn onto Secretary Road in St George’s when Mr Attridge, who had been stopped on his bicycle further down the road, rear-ended his car.

But Nicole Smith, for the Crown, questioned how Mr Attridge could have rear-ended Mr Alkon if the defendant earlier said that he saw Mr Attridge “pontificating” far away seconds beforehand.

She said: “How on God’s green earth could Mr Attridge have gotten down behind your car so fast if he wasn’t already on his way down the hill behind his wife?”

Ms Smith added: “You’re driving was reckless – you weren’t attentive and you were more concerned with where you were going than what was coming down the road.”

Mr Attridge was injured on April 21 last year while he cycled with his family.

Mr Alkon first gave his testimony on November 20 and said that he was stopped at the intersection of Bourne Drive and Secretary Road when he saw Mr Attridge stopped to his left at the top of a hill.

He added that, after Mr Attridge crashed into his car, he moved the bicycle off of the magistrate, called for an ambulance and moved his car to make room for traffic.

Mr Alkon said that he saw Mr Attridge and his wife several months later and apologised for the incident.

But Ms Smith said that it was Mr Attridge’s wife, who gave testimony on November 20, who removed the bike from her husband instead of Mr Alkon.

The prosecutor suggested that Mr Alkon did not call an ambulance either and instead claimed he did these things to “paint yourself in the best light”.

She added that Mr Alkon was focused on turning onto the road that she did not pay attention to Mr Attridge, which forced the magistrate to take evasive action and hurt himself.

She said: “Mr Attridge had to take evasive action to avoid colliding with you and had it not been for your manoeuvre, Mr Attridge could have successfully negotiated the ride up Secretary Road.”

Ms Smith added: “You apportioned blame to yourself because you knew you were guilty – you knew you caused the incident.“

Mr Alkon insisted that this was not the case and that he was the first to call an ambulance.

He added: “I said I was sorry for the incident.

“I was not there to say ’I caused this’, I stopped to say genuinely ’hello, I’m glad you’re better’ – that’s all.”

Wendell Bean-Walls said he was driving along Bourne Drive when he came across the traffic accident.

He said that he recognised the two men involved as Mr Attridge and Mr Alkon and attempted to help the alleged victim.

Mr Bean-Walls said that he called an ambulance and stayed with Mr Attridge until he was transported to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Ms Smith asked if the operator said that someone had already called for help to come to the same area.

Mr Bean-Walls said they did not.

Acting magistrate Marc Daniels adjourned the case until December 21.

The trial continues.

•It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case.