Curfew breaker who admitted drink driving sent to DUI court – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Curfew breaker who admitted drink driving sent to DUI court

A motorcyclist caught out after curfew started and later admitted he was “drunk” was last week sent to the DUI Court.

Michael Simons, 25, pleaded guilty in Magistrates’ Court to a breach of the midnight to 5am curfew and refusal to take a breath test.

The court heard that police saw Simons on his bike on Serpentine Road, Pembroke at about 2.25am on March 6.

They pulled him over after they saw him swerve across the road and questioned him.

Simons told officers that he was travelling from Fenton’s Drive, also in Pembroke, and was on his way home.

He admitted that he had been drinking but added: “I live right around the corner”.

Simons attempted to get off the motorcycle but fell.

Officers helped him to his feet and asked for his name.

He told them: “I’m Michael f****** Simons and I am drunk.”

Police took Simons to Hamilton Police Station and asked him to take a breath test, but he refused.

Elizabeth Christopher, for the defence, told the court that her client was unemployed and would not be able to pay a fine.

She added that Simons, from Pembroke, was “a youth in need of assistance” and asked that he be given the option of DUI Court.

Senior magistrate Juan Wolffe adjourned the case until the next DUI Court on June 8 and released Simons on $500 bail.

He banned Simons from the road until further notice and ordered him a social inquiry report and a drug assessment.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.