Two banned from roads in drink driving related cases
Two motorcyclists were banned from the roads on drink-driving related charges.
Michael Fuhrtz, 31, pleaded guilty in Magistrates’ Court to refusal of a breath test.
The court heard that police stopped Fuhrtz on South Road in Paget as they carried out speed checks.
Officers suspected Fuhrtz had been drinking and arrested him.
Fuhrtz was asked to take a breath test at Hamilton Police Station but refused.
Fuhrtz told the court that the police statement was “all lies” and accused the officers of trying to intimidate him.
He said: “I didn’t need five officers to trail me just to give me a speeding ticket.
“The only reason they charged me is because I cursed them out and they thought I had to be drinking to do that.”
The incident happened in the early hours of September 7.
Senior magistrate Juan Wolffe fined Fuhrtz, from Southampton, $1,000 and ordered him to pay by November 30. He also banned him from the roads for 18 months.
In a separate case, Forest Williams, 30, pleaded guilty to drink driving.
The court heard that Williams was riding his motorcycle along East Broadway in Pembroke when he lost control and hit a utility pole near the Rubis gas station.
He was taken to the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital for treatment.
Police interviewed Williams at the hospital and he admitted he had drunk alcohol earlier that night.
A blood sample was taken for an alcohol test.
Nicole Smith, for the Crown, said Williams had failed the test, but his blood/alcohol level was not read out in court.
Williams, from Paget, asked to be sent to the DUI Court and Mr Wolffe accepted his request.
The case was adjourned until October 26 and Williams was released on $1,000 bail.
Mr Wolffe also banned him from the roads until further notice.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.