Rawlins backs Sussex for T20 success
Delray Rawlins's Sussex Sharks will look to negotiate the next hurdle in their quest for Vitality Blast Twenty20 supremacy during the Finals Day at Edgbaston tomorrow.
Sussex face south group winners Somerset in the second semi-final, with Lancashire Lightning taking on Worcestershire Rapids in the other match.
“To get this far is unbelievable, but nothing less than what we deserved,” Rawlins told The Royal Gazette. “The boys have played some exciting cricket, and are very confident going into Finals Day.”
Sussex lost by three wickets to Somerset at home in the previous meeting between the two sides in the competition at the 1st Central County Ground in Hove last month, with Rawlins stroking an 18 off 14 balls.
“Somerset are strong topping the group,” Rawlins said. “However, if we play our cricket and everyone does their job, which I have no doubts about, I think we'll come out on top.
“We're really looking forward to it. Preparation has been good, all of the boys are in a good space. Just looking forward to the day now.”
The Sharks beat a Durham Jets side — Paul Collingwood and Ben Stokes — by five wickets in the quarter-final at Emirates Riverside, Chester-Le Street, last month to advance to the final four. Chasing Durham's 140 for seven, Sussex replied with 144 for five with ten balls remaining.
“The lads have been awesome throughout the tournament,” Rawlins added.
“We've played some very good cricket without a lot of luck. But it's a nice feeling to know we will be there.”
After successive first-ball dismissals in Sussex's previous matches in the competition, Rawlins blasted his way back into form with a 29-ball 42 against Durham.
Rawlins came in at No 4 and hit seven fours during his 34 minutes at the crease and shared in a third-wicket stand of 70 with Laurie Evans.
“It's always nice when those [innings] come off,” Rawlins said.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service