Much travelled gun is still missing – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Much travelled gun is still missing

It's the tale of the gun that got away.

Despite evidence linking the firearm used against Nathan Darrell to two other incidents, it's still missing believed to be in the west end.

The jury that convicted Quincy Brangman of attempting to murder Mr Darrell (see story on page 1) heard during the trial from gun expert Dennis McGuire.

Mr McGuire specialises in analysing evidence such as shell casings and bullets found at scenes, to find out which gun fired them.

He's told several trials in Bermuda how every gun barrel has grooves in its metal surface that leave marks on bullet cases that are as unique as fingerprints.

He told the Brangman trial how his analysis linked the same 9mm Glock firearm to two other cases. Prosecutors later told the jury what those were.

Brangman an alleged member of Sandys-based gang Money Over B**tches used it to shoot Mr Darrell in Kitchener Close, Sandys, early on February 13.

Police recovered clothing items with gunshot residue on them but not the gun itself.

Less than three weeks later, the same firearm was used to shoot teenager Shawn Williams at the opposite end of the Island, at the Royal Artillery Association (RAA) Club in St George early on April 4.

Prosecutors in that case alleged it was taken to the club by Sandys resident Khyri Smith-Williams, as protection against gang rivals from the Parkside crew.

Mr Smith-Williams was cleared of any guilt in the case and his lawyer stressed he'd never had any animosity against Parkside.

Another man Dwayne Signor from St George's admitted grabbing the gun during a fight that broke out in the RAA club.

He told the jury he pulled the trigger on Mr Williams in a panic, and was eventually convicted of wounding and gun possession after a trial in September.

Signor claimed he handed the gun to a St George's man after running from the club, but Police never found it.

Fourteen weeks later, on July 10, the firearm resurfaced back in the west end.

One that occasion, according to prosecutors, it was used to shoot Jahcai Morris, on Sound View Road, in Sandys, in broad daylight.

Mr Morris, 30, from Paget, was hit in the leg, but released from hospital after treatment. No-one has been charged in that case.

Speaking after yesterday's verdict in the Brangman case, Detective Chief Inspector Nicholas Pedro of the Serious Crime Unit said: “The firearm has not been recovered. It's still outstanding.”

He wouldn't go into detail about its travels from one end of the Island to the other, but said based on evidence the Police have: “It remains in the western area of the Island.”

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published December 16, 2010 at 1:00 am (Updated December 16, 2010 at 7:25 am)

Much travelled gun is still missing

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon