Fresh appeal for witnesses to fatal shooting
Police are searching for a suspected gunman who was wearing winter clothing on a hot night and who is thought to have killed Jason Mello before making his getaway on a motorcycle.
Mr Mello, 25, died at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital as a result of multiple gunshot wounds sustained in the incident on Bandroom Lane, Pembroke, on Friday.
Appealing for witnesses at a press conference yesterday, police said they were now piecing together the final movements of a man, believed to be the gunman, who they understand entered Bandroom Lane on a motorcycle wearing dark, winter clothing.
He is believed to have carried out the shooting on foot at about 7.40pm before heading back through St Monica's Road on his bike.
On arrival at the scene, officers learnt that Mr Mello had been conveyed to the hospital in a private car.
The press conference heard that medics were unable to revive Mr Mello, and that he was pronounced dead shortly after 8pm.
He leaves behind a six-year-old son and three-year-old daughter, as well as numerous other family members and friends, according to Acting Detective Superintendent Nicholas Pedro.
Mr Mello was believed to be home from school in England over the summer holiday period to make money for his tuition costs. Mr Pedro told members of the media: “Officers have collected significant forensic evidence from the scene, and a forensic autopsy is due to be conducted on the victim.
“We are now in the process of piecing together Mr Mello's final movements and activity with a view to identifying the motivation for this murder.
“The gunman is believed to have entered Bandroom Lane on a motorcycle wearing heavy, dark-coloured, winter clothing that would have been unusual on a hot August evening.
“He is believed to have parked the cycle higher up on Bandroom Lane and walked down to where he shot Mr Mello several times. The shooter then returned to his parked motorcycle and rode back out through St Monica's Road.
“I am appealing for anyone that saw this suspect, incident, or has any knowledge that can assist in identifying and bringing the offender or offenders to justice, to contact detectives from the Serious Crime Unit.”
Asked whether the crime was believed to be gang-related or related to recent shootings, Acting Chief Inspector Mark Clarke said: “We don't have any concrete information that it is gang-affiliated. However, all options are open to us and we will be following investigative leads.
“At this stage it is too early to say if it is related. The most important thing is that a young man has lost his life. This is our fourth murder of the year — it is an area that is well known to us.”
The senior investigating officer for this matter is Acting Detective Inspector Dean Martin, who can be contacted on 247-1285.
The Serious Crime Unit can be contacted on 247-1739 or on the confidential and independent Crime Stoppers hotline on 800-8477.