We need an attitude change
Take a slow walk one day to give yourself time to look around you.
Don't look at the beautiful scenery, don't get sidetracked by something interesting, don't stop to wave at a friend passing by, just look down. Look down into the undergrowth. Do you know what you'll see: trash. Bottles, plastic cups, brown bags, remains of food. It's all there if you spare the time to see it.
And it's pretty disgusting especially for an Island that likes to think of itself as a small piece of paradise in the middle of the Atlantic.
It's also a sign of sheer laziness, thoughtlessness and selfishness and a sort of 'everyone else does it so why shouldn't I' attitude. Well why should you? Why should you throw that bottle out of the car window? Why do you carelessly drop that piece of trash and then make no effort to pick it up.? And how many times have you seen those things happen?
Groups like Keep Bermuda Beautiful and the guys you see almost every day cleaning the roads and sidewalks do a great job as do all those volunteers who give up their weekends to help clear the trash that they are not responsible for.
But why is there this lack of respect not just for the environment, but for our Island home? It is infuriating.
Introducing a payment for returned bottles, as Government once mooted, may do some good, putting more trash bins out may also help you could even bring in the litter police!
But nothing will make any difference unless people's attitudes change to become less selfish, less lazy and less thoughtless and more caring and kind.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service