Fund will provide free laptops for pupils
Bermuda-based Legal & General Reinsurance (“L&G Re”) today launched the ‘Lighthouse Connect' fund at the Bermuda Community Foundation in partnership with the Mirrors Programme to raise funds to provide free laptops to all Bermuda public school students. Lighthouse Connect is part of L&G Re's ‘Lighthouse Project', aimed at supporting Bermudian education initiatives including scholarships, internships and a graduate programme.
L&G Re has provided the initial funding for Lighthouse Connect, which will purchase Ministry of Educationapproved laptops for public school students. The laptops will be procured in stages as funds are raised and distributed in order of need, which will be managed by the Mirrors Programme in conjunction with the Department of Education.
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the increased need for digital learning tools; Lighthouse Connect aims to address some of the disruption caused by the pandemic while also contributing to the long term learning of Bermuda public school students. This initiative follows a donation made by L&G Re to the Bermuda Emergency Fund to assist the community with recovery efforts.
Lighthouse Connect has been created in response to the business community's desire to support Bermuda's students with equipment that is approved by the Ministry of Education, and is most suitable for schools and teachers. The initiative provides a way for companies and individuals to contribute to the purchase of technology resources in a coordinated and cohesive manner.
Thomas Olunloyo, CEO of Legal & General Reinsurance, said:
“Our goal is to raise enough funds to provide every public school student in Bermuda with a laptop. The island will recover from this pandemic, but we need to make sure no student is left behind. We are calling on other companies to assist in our efforts by donating what they can to ensure this generation of students remains on track to achieve both their potential and their dreams.”
Interested donors should email email@example.com for details on how to contribute.
• Press release from Legal & General Reinsurance
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service