Road closures for Clyde Best mural opening and Cup Match
Clyde Best Lane in Somerset will be temporarily closed to traffic this evening for a special event to celebrate the completion of a mural wall celebrating the football great.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Public Works said that the road will be closed between 6pm and midnight on July 22 to allow time for vendors to set up before the mural wall introduction and cleaning afterwards.
“Traffic controls will be under direction of the Somerset Cricket Club and event representatives and will be managed via traffic control barricades and signage,” the spokesman said.
“Detour routes will be via Somerset Road and Beacon Hill Road.
“The Ministry of Public Works wishes to encourage the full co-operation of the public and apologises for any inconvenience that may result.”
Traffic and parking in Somerset will be further impacted this month by the return of Cup Match to the West End.
A notice from the Ministry of Public Works said that between 6.30am and 9pm on July 28 and 29 parking will not be allowed on several sections of street.
Parking will not be permitted on:
· Somerset Road between St James Church and the junction with Cambridge Road
· Bob’s Valley Road between Sound View Road and Scott’s Hill Road
· Clyde Best Lane between Cricket Lane and Beacon Hill Road
· Cricket Lane between Clyde Best Lane and Scott’s Hill Road
· Gilbert Lane between Somerset Road and Long Bay Lane
· Hook n Ladder Lane between Somerset Road and Long Bay Lane
· Long Bay Lane between Gilbert Lane and Somerset Road
· Railway Trail between Clyde Best Lane and Scott’s Hill Road
· Scott’s Hill Road between Somerset Road and Beacon Hill Road
The Railway Trail will be reduced to single-lane traffic between Clyde Best Lane and Sound View Road, with only southerly traffic allowed.
Hook n Ladder Lane will be reduced to one way between Somerset Road and Long Bay Lane with traffic allowed to travel only west.
Cricket Lane will be closed to traffic except for access to residences on the street while Clyde Best Lane will be closed to all but emergency vehicles.
Service vehicles that need to access Somerset Cricket Club can enter through the north-east gates located on Clyde Best Lane.
Parking for Cup Match will be available at Sandys Secondary School and West End Primary School on Scott’s Hill Road, along with Somerset Primary School on Gilbert Lane and Warren Simmons Field on Somerset Road, with access from Gilbert Lane.
• UPDATE: This article has been amended to correct the date of the Clyde Best Lane closure to tonight – Friday, July 22.