Looking good for the holiday
Come Bermuda Day, dressing is all about bright colours and flowy fabrics.
The annual holiday is the unofficial start to summer on the Island. For most of us it’s also time to part ways with winter’s uniform of black and grey.
Lifestyle asked 36-year-old Racquel Knight what she’d include in her holiday dream purchase. Her answer? A flowy sun dress.
“It’s easy to put on, you don’t have to iron it and you can match it up with heels or sandals,” she said. “The great thing about a sun dress is it could be worn again, so if you want to wear it to work, you can just pair it with a small white or colourful blazer.”
She described her everyday style as simple and classic.
“I don’t tend to go for things that are trending, but more so comfortable and easy. I have a son and just need to be comfortable. I can wear heels if I’m going out with the girls, but on my down days prefer a pair of Converse sneakers or Keds.”
She said she gets inspiration from celebrity gossip magazines like People and US Weekly.
But if she sees a piece she likes she tries to find a more affordable and versatile version of it.
Brooke Williams, 26, said she’s looking for a white off-the-shoulder gypsy dress for the long weekend ahead.
“I think it’s very fashionable. Plus I really like the boho chic look and I can then team it with lots of colourful costume jewellery,” she said.
“I haven’t found the dress I want yet, but that’s what I am looking for.”
Miss Williams said she loved styles from the ‘50s and ‘60s such as the figure-hugging clothes worn by film siren Brigitte Bardot.
“I like the boho look as well,” she said. “I come from London so I love how [Brits] Kate Moss and Sienna Miller dress. It’s not too over the top, but not too casual either. It’s also easy to wear in a hot climate like this.”
She pours through the occasional magazine for inspiration, but acknowledged that some of the looks in publications like Vogue weren’t easy to achieve in real life.
“It’s a lot of high-end fashion,” she said. “Celebrities also wear those crazy things sometimes, but when they’re just out and about they tend to look quite nice, so I take inspiration from that.”
Marketing and account manager Natalia Sannemalm said she’s on the hunt for a beautiful throw to go over her bikini on Bermuda Day.
“I’m looking for something simple and light and easy to transition if you’re going from the beach to a party at night,” the 29-year-old said.
She described her style as “simple, classy and minimalistic”.
“I definitely like Instagram and like to scroll through that for inspiration sometimes,” she said. “I also get inspired watching shows like Scandal and Mad Men.
“Obviously most of the stuff on there I can’t afford, but it’s a more classy look and that’s what I need when I’m going out for meetings with clients and want to put a presentable face forward.
“Even though we are on an island, it’s still nice to blend that fresh island style with things that are business appropriate as well.”
1. Cool sun hat. Not only is this item practical, but it’s stylish and ideal with the hot weather.
2. A large bag. Put away your clutch. An oversized bag is handy to store all the day’s goods — think sunscreen, towel, water, sunglasses and bikini. If you choose the right one it can also add to your outfit.
3. Shades. Obviously you’ll need these to protect your eyes from the sun, but they are also an easy way to add drama to a look.
1. A nice tropical print skirt. As the Island is very colourful, people should incorporate its pink and blue hues into their wardrobe.
2. Bright pink lipstick. This is one of the times it’s okay to use a colour that pops instead of a neutral tone, she said.
3. White shirt. Well, you’ll need something simple to pair with the colourful skirt. This item is also great because it tends to get really hot.
1. Simple tank top. Although this is one of those occasions you want to look your best, it’s also hot — so aim for an outfit that is cute and comfortable.
2. Capri pants for ladies or cut-off cargo shorts for men. Again, because it’s hot.
3. A nice pair of sandals. Make sure your outfit is simple, “Bermuda Day is really easy going and it’s going to be really hot so you don’t want to be bogged down with clothes and all that”.