Bluebirds propelled by Smith-Barrow’s double
Bluebirds opened the weekend schedule with a comfortable 4-1 win over Ravens at the North Field of the National Sports Centre thanks to a brace from JoAnn Smith-Barrow in the Women’s ‘B’ Division
End-to-end action in the first 15 minutes saw Bluebirds forge ahead with Laura Bardgett converting a cross with a powerful strike.
Ravens managed to contain Bluebirds for the rest of the half and negated any further attempts on goal with some attacking play of their own through junior forwards Isabella Boonstra and Sydney Bodenstad.
But Smith-Barrow scored the first of her two goals early in the second half from a penalty corner and Hillary Stoddard made it 3-0, virtually ending Ravens’ hopes of victory
But the team continued to battle and Amber Port managed to pull a goal back with with a field goal resulting from some persistent pressure.
Smith-Barrow finished the goalscoring with a late striker to put her within two goals of Jasalle Smith of Budgies in the race for top goalscorer in the ‘B’ league.
Cardinals got the better of Canaries in their encounter, prevailing 2-0 in a closely contested game.
Cardinals appear to have found their zone after a slow start to the season and continued their winning streak with Denise Downey setting the tone of the game from the outset with a goal in the sixth minute.
Adrien Lewis doubled the score with a field goal midway through the first half.
Candy Foggo continued to be a key distributor in the Cardinals line-up and linked up well with Pier Simons to help keep the team in control.
Canaries fought back in the second half with continued pressure by Brittany Uddin and Kirsty Jones on the Cardinals back line. However, some solid defending by junior Zianna Rubaine and Wendy Cassidy prevented any further scoring.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service