Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

DR Congo miner irked by Bermuda firm deal

KINSHASA (Bloomberg) — Democratic Republic of Congo's state-run miner Gecamines said it wasn't informed about the sale of one the country's biggest copper projects by Freeport McMoran and it plans to investigate the deal in order to “assert its rights”.

A Bermudian-based company, TF Holdings Ltd is at the centre of the $2.65 billion proposed deal.

Advisers for Gecamines will “examine the announced terms of the transaction with regards to its rights under the agreements binding it directly or indirectly to Freeport McMoran”, the company said in an e-mailed statement.

US-based Freeport announced on Monday that it sold its indirect 56 per cent stake in the Tenke Fungurume mine, which also produces cobalt, to China Molybdenum Co.

Gecamines owns 20 per cent of the mine, alongside investors Freeport and Canada's Lundin Mining Corp China Molybdenum will acquire Freeport's ownership via a 70 per cent interest in TF Holdings. Lundin, which owns the other 30 per cent of TF Holdings, has 90 days to match the offer for Freeport's stake.

Gecamines has opposed similar transactions in the past. In 2012, it almost stopped the acquisition of Anvil Mining NL by China's Minmetals Resources Ltd. The deal proceeded after they reached an agreement that included Anvil paying $55 million to Gecamines.

“Gecamines will assert its rights, as it has been doing so these past years when facing unilateral withdrawal decisions from its partners through attempts to indirectly transfer the control of joint venture companies to third-party entities,” it said.

Huge resource: the Tenke Fungurume mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published May 12, 2016 at 9:00 am (Updated May 12, 2016 at 12:56 am)

DR Congo miner irked by Bermuda firm deal

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon