Problems with taxis just poor hospitality
The article in the Thursday, August 6, 2015 Royal Gazette about the abusive taxi driver highlights the problems with our local taxis. I thought the following would be of interest:
This an excerpt copied directly off the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission's Medallion Taxicab Passenger Bill of Rights:
As a taxi rider, you have the right to:
• Pay for your ride with credit/debit card
• Direct the route taken: the most direct route or one of your choice
• A safe and courteous driver who obeys all traffic laws
• A knowledgeable driver who speaks English and knows city geography
• Air conditioning or heat on request
• A noise-free trip: no horn honking or radio
• Clean air. Smoke and scent-free air
• Working seatbelts for all passengers
• A clean taxicab: interior, exterior and partition
• Be accompanied by a service animal (for the blind, eg)
• A driver who does not use a cellphone while driving (handheld or hands-free)
• Decline to tip for poor service
I would suggest that most people do not find that to be an exhaustive or unreasonable list and most are typical of Bermuda cabs but “air conditioning or heat on request”. Why is this not part of the rules for Bermuda taxis?
The necessity was brought to mind when I was picked up by friends on the way to an afternoon event, which required coat and tie in Bermuda in June, and the dark blue taxi did not have air conditioning.
Bermuda prides itself on not being just another island and not part of the Third World.
The Government and industry spend a lot of money marketing the Island as a special place. I can assure you that this rolling sauna did not feel special and I am very disappointed that it is even legal to be licensed as a taxi.
My lone voice will have no impact, but perhaps your readers can imagine someone — say, a conference booker — coming to Bermuda in August and getting into this hotbox for the run to The Fairmont Southampton. How impressed would you be?
I know we have a lot to fix, but let's start with the basics. This sort of thing is just poor hospitality.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service