Owners put the brakes on HomeSafe service
The future of a private transport service that provided a chauffeur to get people home safe after a night out remains uncertain.
HomeSafe Bermuda suspended operations for health and safety reasons in March 2020 when the Covid-19 pandemic began to impact the island.
Carlton Crockwell, a former chairman of the Bermuda Road Safety Council and chief operating officer of Security Associates, launched the service in 2017 and expanded its scope a year later.
But yesterday the prospect of the service being resumed remained unresolved.
Mr Crockwell said: “We haven’t even looked at it at this point in time.
“We haven’t even met as a team to even discuss it. We’ve been so busy with other things.
“Right now, it’s not even on our agenda.”
HomeSafe provided a driver to take people home in their own four-wheeled vehicle.
The driver used a foldable electric motorcycle packed in the trunk of the vehicle to return to base after the customer was dropped off.
Drivers for HomeSafe Bermuda were trained security officers who had been vetted and licensed by the Bermuda Police Service.
The service was designed for people who wished to enjoy a night out, or did not wish to drive while tired, or who had issues driving at night.
Customers were charged per ride for zones that radiated from Hamilton. Trips to destinations in Hamilton, Paget and Devonshire cost $30 and travel to the outer parishes cost $50.
Bookings were encouraged but a call-in service from Thursdays to Saturdays was available. The service ran until 3.30am.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service