Barnes makes a name for himself overseas
Scott Barnes achieved his goal of growing his reputation overseas after finishing runner-up in both of his classes in the Triple Crown of Karting.
Barnes won the L206 Margay Ignite final and placed fifth in the shifter at the Rock Island Grand Prix in Illinois last weekend, the final race of the series, to place second overall in each class.
The Triple Crown also included the Quincy Grand Prix in Illinois and the Thor Industries Elkhart Riverwalk Grand Prix in Indiana.
“I did't get the win, but I'm definitely happy with two second-place finishes [overall],” Barnes said. “I put my name out there a bit more this year, which is awesome.”
In the L206 final, Barnes passed Jeff Dolian late on to exact revenge over the experienced driver, who pipped the Bermudian to the chequered flag at the Battle of the Brickyard in Indianapolis in July.
“On the second from last corner I passed the same guy who overtook me on the final lap at Indy [the Indianapolis Motor Speedway],” he said. “I got my revenge on him!”
The former Bermuda Karting Club president finished fourth in shifter class and spun out of the L206 at the Quincy Grand Prix in May, the opening Triple Crown race.
In the second race of the series, at the Elkhart Riverwalk Grand Prix last month, Barnes won the shifters, his thirteenth place in the L206 did not count towards his overall points total.
Barnes competed in four overseas races this summer, including the Battle of the Brickyard, which was not part of the Triple Crown.
“I try to pick a few [overseas] races every year,” he said. “I definitely loved this street race series, so it's definitely at the top my list of what I want to do next year.”
He added: “It's always nice going over to the US and running in the top five of these races. I'm always looking to make name for myself and be among the top guys.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service