‘Tis the season to celebrate entrepreneurship
Once again Global Entrepreneurship Week is upon us and the Bermuda Economic Development Corporation is pleased to have so many events that we had to spill out into the whole month.
With a team so enthusiastic about supporting and celebrating entrepreneurs, it is no surprise that, for two years in a row, Bermuda has won the most events per capita at the Global Entrepreneurship Congress. There have been a number of great events already in the run-up to GEW, such as the Digicel SME Business Package Launch, Pecha Kucha East, Aecon Construction information session, Bepro Networking Event and the Deca Idea Challenge Launch.
Today at noon, the official GEW proclamation at City Hall will launch the week. There are a number of awesome events during the week that extend into the Youth Entrepreneurship Mixer on November 30. The full schedule is available at www.bedc.bm/index.php/gew.
This year I would like to highlight a few great events that I recommend attending:
• Rocket Pitch Finals: hear the top finalists in the four business categories — Pink, Town, Tech and Green (today from 5.30pm to 9pm)
• Finding Financing for your eBusiness: industry experts discuss how to get your eBusiness off the ground (tomorrow from 12.30pm to 1.30pm)
• Ocean Tech Presentation: understanding how to create marine-protected areas through use of technology (tomorrow from 11.45am to 1.30pm)
• Young Entrepreneur Mixer: network with Bermuda's rising entrepreneurs (Wednesday from 8pm to 10pm)
• Celebration of Innovation and Entrepreneurship: find out who wins the 2016 TechAwards and Rocket Pitch Competition (Thursday from 5.30pm to 9pm)
I have highlighted only a few events, which are both perennial signature and new events to GEW this year. There is much more this month, so please check out the full calendar.
Hopefully, the entrepreneurial bug bites you this week. Thinking an idea to death is the best way to kill it. Sharing and receiving feedback and support will help you to make your dreams reality.
The BEDC is proud to offer a full road map of education to guide you towards entrepreneurial success:
• Startup Weekend: where you can test your idea and push towards a validated proof of concept
• Ice House Programme: develop an entrepreneurial mindset
• Entrepreneurship 101: develop a business plan and understand how to address hurdles and barriers of entry
• Financial planning using QuickBooks course: a must-do course to manage your business
• Streetwise MBA in conjunction with Pace: develop a growth-action plan for stable SMEs looking to grow
This year, give yourself the best Christmas present ever: bring your business idea to life. At the BEDC, we are here to help you along the way with education, free technical advice, financial support and lobbying.
• Nick Kempe is chairman of the Bermuda Economic Development Corporation